Graduate Studies community responds
April 22, 2020
As the nation and the world have spent the last month transitioning to a new way of living, PNCA Graduate Studies students and alumni have responded to the COVID-19 crisis in profound and dynamic ways. Studio practices have moved to living rooms and artwork viewing has moved online while work and home lives become completely blended.
It is no surprise that artists and designers have sprung to action to use their skills to make what they can to support relief and safety for Portland and communities across the country. Check out the links below to see what our students and alumni are up to and to support their great work.
- Simone Fischer (VS ‘20) has been working with her Grandma(a beloved honorary member of the Visual Studies family) to make masks for purchase. Follow her here > @simonefischerr
- Janessa Bautista (AC+D ‘20) is also making masks for purchase from her home studio. Follow her here > @milkandhoneycollection
- Tim Janchar (VS ‘13) is an emergency room doctor who has been on the front lines in both Portland and Astoria hospitals fording COVID-19 cases. Thank you Tim!
- Becca Gore (AC+D ‘17) set up an online store for makers losing income as shops have closed. Check out Drawn Goods. You’ll find PNCA alumni work!
- Josh Hughes (VS ‘19) has been putting his 3D printers and design skills to work developing an open source pattern for 3D printed respirator masks. Follow his progress here > @joshhughesstudios
- Ophir El-Boher (CD ‘19) immediately jumped into action with her expert sewing skills to sew masks in addition to offering sewing instructions and socially distanced workshops so folks can build their sewing skills. Follow here > @ophir.el
- Aaron De Lanty (AC+D ‘17) is 3D printing medical masks with reusable filters. Follow here > @thelandtree
- Brittany Vega (VS ‘19) is making masks for folks in the Portland area from her studio at ADX. Follow her here > @_brittanyvega_
- Jodie Cavalier (VS ‘12) has been cooking free meals for folks in the Portland community. Follow here > @jodiecavalier
- Joseph Rodriguez (LRVS ‘20) is working for PNCA security helping keep our campus safe while we are all away!
As the nation and the world have spent the last month transitioning to a new way of living, PNCA Graduate Studies students and alumni have responded to the COVID-19 crisis in profound and dynamic ways.
Off The Cost PDX is an online platform that was founded and is run by VS ‘19 Alumni Jen Bacon and Brittany Vega. This resource is an ever evolving collection of free opportunities for artists in the Portland area and beyond.
Our creative community extends beyond social isolation.
MFA in Visual Studies is excited to welcome L.A. based curator, writer and educator, Ceci Moss, for a lecture as part of the Hallie Ford School of Graduate Studies Spring 2020 Lecture Series.
February 26, 2020
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
A group of VS students along with program chair, MK Guth, spent the weekend at the coast on a professional practices retreat where they also stayed at the Willipa Bay Artist in Residence and chatted with residency Director Cindy Hayward.